The Purchaser oversees the procurement and inventory performance of commodity groups for multiple facilities. The incumbent ensures that all purchasing is done according to company guidelines.
- Responsible for the supply chain for key company commodities and maintaining consistent quality and cost targets.
- Develops, implements, evaluates and maintains procurement programs and processes.
- Develops specifications, and conducts competitive bids and proposals.
- Tracks market movements in all commodities assigned to evaluate long-term price trends.
- Negotiates prices, terms and conditions. Administers contracts and PO’s, and monitors vendor performance.
- Assists in the management of the movement and placement of materials and the proper rotation of stock in the warehouse.
- Contains and reduces the cost of purchasing, reviews monthly expenditures and investigates any price discrepancies.
- Establishes partnership with vendors and provides feedback to resolve any problems with quality control or service issues.
- Assists in inventory cycle counts as part of the company’s inventory accuracy initiative.
- Produces monthly status report to identify overall status of projects, major achievements, goals for next period, risk assessment, and problems and recommended solutions.
- Collaborates with vendors, R&D, production, QA, and other relevant departments for implementation of new or improved products for the marketplace.
- Ensures food safety practices and processes are followed including SQF and GMP standards. Reports any potential food safety related problems and/or non-compliance to own Manager, Production management team and Technical Services management team.
- Coordinates the disposition of obsolete inventory.
- College or university degree in a related discipline.
- A recognized certificate in Purchasing is an asset
- 2-4 years of purchasing/ procurement experience.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills
- Knowledge of ERP/MRP procurement systems.
- Excellent English communications skills
- Strong computer skills in MS office applications
- Internal - All Departments
- External - Vendors, sales representatives, customs brokers, freight forwarders, freight companies, CFIA, design agencies.
- Works predominantly in an air-conditioned office environment but sometimes requires being in a production, warehouse or cold storage environment.
- Permanent full-time position.
- As per business needs, available on call after work hours and on weekends for emergencies.